Our Adoption Process
This web site is kept as current as possible, and thankfully, these dogs are very desired, wanted & loved. We appreciate ALL applications and will treat each one as a priority. Processing of applications for dogs other than special needs dogs is currently averaging four to six weeks.
Our application process has many steps that need to be explained. In order to match the rescue dogs’ needs with the best adoptive homes and environments, it is necessary for both the applicants and the rescue organization to complete the entire application process. Each step of the process will lead to the next if the applicant is being considered. Please take a moment to read the application process before proceeding.
- Complete the online application.
- Please understand that regardless of how wonderful your family may be, we can not process an incomplete application.
- To be considered for approval, your application MUST include names and phone numbers of references, including your veterinarian, and landlord or association manager, if you are renting or live in a condominium.
- Receive preliminary phone call or email from a volunteer Adoption or Foster Counselor.
- Be interviewed by our volunteer. You will have an opportunity to ask questions and become part of the process.
- Have References checked.
- Receive a home visit by one of our rescue contacts.
- See pictures of available dogs who might be a good match for your household. You will have an opportunity to speak with the foster family of possible adoptees.
- Sign an Adoption Contract and submit the required Adoption Donation.
- Help in arranging transport of rescue dog to your new adoptive home.
Almost always, there are many applicants wanting the same dog. In such situations, we try to make the best possible match based on the information we’ve gathered thru each of the application steps. There are always many dogs to choose from, and more come and go each day. So sometimes the exact dog you’re applying for might already have an adoption pending or may actually “fit” better in a different applicant’s home. In this case, we try to interest you in someone else who is available that we think might be a good match according to your preferences on the application.
Shih Tzus & Furbabies is considered by some to be a “hard rescue organization”. We accept dogs with serious medical needs. In addition to treating the usual minor medical conditions, vaccinating, and altering, we also arrange for more expensive procedures such as heartworm treatments, orthopedic surgeries, and ophthalmic care.
Our veterinarians are generous and loving professionals, who support our efforts. In order to pay them, we must ask for an “adoption fee” or “adoption donation.” These range from $250 to $600. Most adults, 3 years or older, are $250 – $350. Pups younger than 3 years old are usually $350-$600. Thank you for understanding our application process.
If you have questions about our application process, please contact us.
We have compiled a list of Frequently Asked Questions regarding our adoption process. Click here to view.